Most recent posts
- Flash Competition – Winner gets to write where Hemingway did!
- 2015 Storgy Short Story Competition
- Grace Marion Wilson Emerging Writers Competition
- Nonfiction Prize for Young Writers
- Calling All Fiction Writers! – The Big Issue
- Overland journal – call for submissions
- Procrastination confessions
- Best Australian Science Writing 2015 – call for submissions
- Feeling the Love?
- When life hands you lemons…..
Find a post onacademia behavioural science brian boyd call for submissions career cognition Competitions conferences confidence confirmation creative non-fiction creative thesis creative writing creative writing tips creativity culturonics curiosity editing emerging writers events evolution festivals flash fiction forgetting free will genes history of emotions how to get published interdisciplinarity linguistics literary darwinism literary studies lit reviews magazines major life events and study memory Methods micro-lit music narrative narrators negative space neuroscience Non-fiction note taking online lectures patterns play presentations procrastination proof reading punctuation research rough draft science short stories story starter ideas study blues study plan study tips theory thesis writing Vienna word counts words work life balance writer's block writers worth checking out writing process
- RT @ItsMelShoe: As Voltaire once said: #corybernardiwankpuffin 1 year ago
- RT @DanielAndrewsMP: I wrote a letter to the Prime Minister today. #LetThemStay https://t.co/AtekuC1GYh 1 year ago
- RT @D_Woz: I usually keep my mouth shut on such topics, but this is strong youtube.com/watch?v=XXUZjy… 1 year ago
- RT @Roddlez1: There is no law that says you MUST sing the national anthem, anymore than I MUST say the Lord's Prayer at a funeral. #ThePro… 1 year ago
- SO disappointed that no-one on the desk stood up against Steve's ridiculous berating of a reasonable argument #TheProjectTV 1 year ago
Tag Archives: creative writing tips
The Emerging Writers’ Festival is starting the 27th May – 6th June. The program is out now. If you’ve been locked away in a tower, writing that great Australian novel, then this is your opportunity to get some air and meet others … Continue reading
I’m still busy writing up stuff for my 2nd year review, so here is a little, somewhat random, post on Cormac McCarthy’s Three Punctuation Rules. A much overlooked part of the art of creative writing; I think there should be classes … Continue reading
The Melbourne Writers Festival starts in just 10 days. Unfortunately, most of the workshop sessions are already sold out, but there are still plenty of events to attend, catering for all sort of interests.
Found this post today from Research Degree Voodoo on the writing process and how to avoid some common traps. This is stuff I was already aware of, but it’s always good to have a reminder.
My supervisor has set me a challenge. OK, so not so much a challenge, but I see it as a challenge. He asked me what time of the day I felt I did my best writing. I said after lunch. … Continue reading
Here is a great post from Pat Thompson on early onset satisfaction. This is the feeling I have when I get up to write something in the middle of the night, and then go back to bed with a little smirk … Continue reading
What is a creative thesis? This is a question that probably I thought of when I applied to do a PhD, but surprisingly haven’t given much thought to since. Starting a thesis is like opening Pandora’s Box (childish giggle). I … Continue reading
Because I haven’t been writing (well, not blogging anyway) for a while, I thought an article on writer’s block might be useful, so here is one from Brain Pickings called How to Break Through Your Creative Block. Hope it helps.